The enviroment I live were kitchen appliances were black, white, and bisque. There were many finishes before and after like “Harvest Gold,” “Avocado,” “Silver,” “Olde Bronze,” “Ice White,” “Black Ice,” and “Slate”.
But today stainless steel is still the dominant finish in kitchens which matches all cabinet styles and has a certain chic look about it. So it is fitting that the next hot finish would have a stainless component. Black steel is a shade darker than traditional stainless steel.
Have a look:
There are two issues to buying a black steel finish.
First, it is a finish, so when scratched it shows the shinier stainless underneath. Unlike regular stainless, Black Stainless is somewhat limited to only a few products per line. They also are on the higher end typically.
Below are the top three packages to consider from LG, Samsung, and KitchenAid. There are more combinations, but these are what we find to be the most popular.
Best Black Stainless Steel Kitchen Packages
Samsung Counter Depth Black Stainless Steel – Electric $4,199 after rebates
- RF23J9011SG – 23 cubic feet Capacity Counter Depth 4-Door Flex Refrigerator with FlexZone
- ME18H704SFS – 1.8 cubic feet. Over The Range Microwave with Sensor Cooking
- NE58K9500SG – 31 Inch Slide-In Electric Range
- DW80K7050UG – Fully Integrated Dishwasher
Samsung has always been a company who is at the forefront of innovation. It comes to no surprise that they are one of the first companies to have an all black stainless kitchen suite.
Their 4-Door flex refrigerator will give you the flexibility to make the bottom right door a fridge or a freezer, which gives you more room to store fresh vegetables.
KitchenAid Black Stainless Kitchen Package – Electric $5,254
- KRFC300EBS – 20 cubic feet. 36-Inch Width Counter-Depth French Door with Interior Dispense
- KMHS120EBS – 1000-Watt Microwave with 7 Sensor Functions – 30″
- KSEG700EBS – 30″ Black Stainless Steel Slide-In Electric Range
- KDTE104EBS – 46 dBA Dishwasher with ProWash™ Cycle
KitchenAid, who is owned by the Whirlpool Corporation, will give you the best dishwasher out of the three brands. KitchenAid is the newest of the three brands to roll out their black stainless package but this package is a very nice look with their stylish handles with red end caps. Their finish is darker than the other two.
The oven is huge and the largest of the three. The refrigerator is just the base French door and does not have the amenities of the other two. Of the three, KitchenAid is most promising and popular for their dishwashers.
LG Black Stainless Kitchen Package – Electric $6,190
- LFXC24796D – 36 Inch Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator
- LMHM2237BD – 2.2 cubic feet. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven
- LDE4413BD – 30 Inch Dual Oven Electric Range
- LDF7774BD – 24 Inch Fully Integrated Dishwasher
LG is similar to Samsung in their innovative and first to market offerings. LG offers the InstaView window, and with a simple knock on the door, you can view what is on the inside without opening the door and releasing the cold air.
Like Samsung, the oven is convection and the dishwasher is integrated.
Out of all three manufacturers, the Samsung French door is the most practical with the flex option. Nonetheless, the KitchenAid stove and dishwasher are more practical to consider.
The problem with Black Steel or any other designer finish mentioned in the beginning is what happens 10 years from now.
If the finish is no longer available, then you can no longer replace one broken appliance. You may have to replace everything if you would like to keep up with the same style of finish.