The new generation appliance is Wi-Fi enabled with TVs, coffee systems and SodaStream attachments. Refrigerators are much more than chillers and freezers these days, which can be the communication hubs for your home.
Two companies bringing this type of technology are GE and Samsung. By the way, the GE is now owned by Haier of China.
GE Café CYE22USHSS – $2,700-3,000
At first glance, it is very cool.
You are immediately drawn to the single-serve Keurig K-cup brewing station in the ice and water dispenser. It also doubles as a hot water dispenser for teas where it lets you choose between 4 preset temperatures.
Also it has a hot water scheduler. By using your GE app, you can actually schedule when and what temperature you would like to have your hot water dispensed. Also added is a precise fill. While not exclusive to GE, it is nice to get that precise measurement for food and drink prep.
The dispenser unit itself is also quite large, tall enough to fill any large container in your home easily. Lastly, it is equipped with a sharp looking LCD color screen with a USB port which will allow you to upload your favorite photos to personalize your unit.
Moving on to the interior, the lighting is 7 LEDs that are positioned well and placed to function as task lighting while being aesthetically pleasing at the same time. There is plenty of useable fresh food space within this unit.
The shelves are all moveable and include a “quick space” shelf which folds back for taller item storage. Also has a full width LED lit temperature controlled drawer.
- Dual Evaporator (dedicated climate control for each section)
- Drop down storage tray (hides away when not in use)
- Stainless Steel design Door Bins
- Adjustable humidity drawers
- Deli pan
- Sabbath mode compatible
- Removable door gaskets
Samsung Family Hub RF22K9581SR – $4,399.99
The Family Hub is the world’s only truly connected refrigerator. It allows you internet access on the front. It also allows you to see inside the refrigerator from your phone. Want to see if you need ketchup while you are at the supermarket? Just open the app on your phone and have a look.
Opening the doors of this unit, you are immediately drawn to its unique interior. 4-pillar high efficiency LED lighting with a combination of arctic blue and stainless steel interior. Visually this unit is incredibly appealing and truly unlike anything else on the market at this point.
The bottom right hand door operates off of a dedicated second compressor and third evaporator system. It can be converted from freezer to refrigerator in 8 hours for useable fridge capacity all the way to 19.5 cu. ft. It also has 4 selectable temperature settings Fridge, Chilled, Soft Freeze, and Freezer.
- Food Management – Three built-in cameras take a picture of the refrigerator’s interior. You can order groceries online from the touchscreen
- Family Message Center – The Sticky Board and WhiteBoard features let you leave messages for family members and sync up calendars from your connected mobile device.
- Entertainment – stream music to the built-in speakers or mirror your smart TV on the 21.5″ touchscreen using such apps as Pandora and Tune In
- FlexZone – bottom-right door can be a fridge or freezer, maximizing fresh food storage space. The most fresh food storage available at 17.65 cu. ft. when the FlexZone is used as a refrigerator. Five customizable temperature settings: Cool at 41(degree)F, Cheese/Veggie at 35(degree)F, Chill/Meat at 30(degree)F, Soft Freezing 23(degree)F and Freezer at -8(degree)F to 5(degree)F
- Triple Cooling System – 3 evaporators for ultimate freshness and provides precise temperature and humidity controls in all three zones. Your food stays fresher longer with 3 evaporators
Samsung Family Hub vs. GE Café Counter Depth Refrigerators
These machines will do much more than just keep your food cold.
If you like coffee, the GE is a wonderful advance and will save counter space. The programmable app is a great option so you set it once to have hot water at any time.
The Samsung is way more than coffee. You are looking at a communication hub inside your kitchen with flexible refrigerator/freezer space (btw, their Chef Collection line has Sodastream functionality too).
We have gone way past food preservation.